Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Easy Organic Applesauce

If you want a quick and easy side dish or dessert, I highly recommend making some applesauce with your freshly picked apples from the orchard or the farmer's market. It couldn't be easier, and the smell and taste are to die for. This applesauce is one of my many contributions to tomorrow's Halloween Paleo Potluck Meetup that I'm hosting. Between the eight pounds of applesauce, two sweet potato pies (still in progress), and 4 dozen pumpkin-style "Ali-Bars", I am wiped. 

I should also mention that I completed my hardest WOD to date this morning which consisted of:

- 1 mile run
- 20 Bar-facing burpees
- 20 Deadlifts
- 20 Burpee lateral jumps
- 20 Power cleans
- 20 Burpees
- 20 Empty barbell thrusters
- 400m sprint


Somehow between the crossfit and the cooking, I also managed to stop by the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival (great vendors, but insanely over-crowded/chaotic), go grocery shopping at Trader Joes and Whole Foods, get crafts supplies at Michaels, and attempt to find a Halloween costume at Target. I ended up with some fabric that I will attempt to use to create my own costume tomorrow. We will see if I still have the crafty costume skills I learned in my sorority days. 

Let's hope the potluck is a success tomorrow! Pictures to follow :)

Ingredients:
- 8 pounds organic apples
- 2 Tbsp. organic cinnamon
- 1 cup water

Instructions:
1. Wash apples, and chop them into slices or chunks keeping the skin on
2. Put apples in a large pot and add the water and cinnamon
3. Bring the pot to a boil
4. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes (stirring every 15 minutes)
5. Ladle out any excess liquid (you can always add it back later) to avoid making your applesauce too watery
6. Using an immersion blender, partially blend the sauce so the skin blends but leaving some chunks/texture based on your preference
7. Enjoy the amazing smell of fall in your house!

   

  



No comments:

Post a Comment