Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Slammin' Salmon Cakes w/ Strawberry Avocado Salsa

Good morning from rainy Boston! Yesterday's cooking class was quite an experience. The turnout was lower than expected, but I still gained the experience of cooking food for 12 people for a solid 7 hours. Needless to say, my feet and back are tired, but it was great. I am separating the three courses into three different posts, and I hope you all enjoy the recipes. Before everyone came, I took out some interesting reading materials and also laid out some of my go-to paleo products so people could see some of the food I eat and ingredients I use. 



We started off the feast with salmon cakes/patties/burgers/whatever. I am going crazy over this canned wild salmon I found at Trader Joes, and I'm sure I will come up with some other salmon recipes over the next few weeks. Salmon cakes are incredibly easy to make, and they are perfect for leftovers. You can have one over scrambled eggs for breakfast, with a salad and sliced avocado for lunch, and with some roasted broccoli and a sweet potato for dinner! This is making me hungry...

Ingredients:
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5-7 strawberries, chopped
- 1 lime
- Salt, pepper, & garlic powder

- Two 14.5 oz. cans of wild salmon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. dill
- 1 lemon
- Salt, pepper, & garlic powder

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Mix avocado, tomatoes, strawberries, and lime juice in a mixing bowl
3. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
4. Refrigerate so flavors meld while you prepare the salmon cakes
5. Add canned salmon to a large mixing bowl. Note that this wild salmon from Trader Joes (only $2.99!) has skin and bones. You can mash it all together to get the full health benefits.
6. Add onion, egg(s), coconut flour, dill, lemon, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
7. Mix well with a fork, and then dive in with your hands to solidify the mixture
8. Form into patties and arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet
9. Bake for 30 minutes and then remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes
10. Serve with a dollop (or two) of salsa


   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment