Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Perfect Paleo Banana Bread Cake

Last night's ladies night was a Trumbull reunion. Claire, Ali, Sarah, and I proudly represented three classes of retired field hockey players. Our last pasta party was over 10 years ago, so we had a new and improved pasta-free version with an arugula salad, paleo chicken pot pie, and roasted butternut squash. I wanted to whip up a dessert, so I decided to go with a banana bread cake. I used to love making banana bread, and this was my first paleo attempt. The cake was moist, sweet, and cooked perfectly. I will definitely make this again - it would be great for a brunch party or anytime you need a quick and easy dessert. I gave away all the leftovers because I knew I would eat the whole thing! You could make this in a loaf pan and cook it for an extra 15 minutes, but I think it cooks more evenly in a pie dish. This recipe is perfect to try out on the paleo critic - it is as good or better than the traditional recipe!

Perfect Paleo Banana Break Cake:  Serves 8, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 40 min

Ingredients:
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon 
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs (I used 2 eggs + 3 Tbsp. egg whites)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 medium or 4 small bananas, mashed

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and set aside
3. In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla
4. Mix wet ingredients until fully combined and then add the mashed bananas
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients in one bowl
6. Pour batter in a 9-inch pie dish (I didn't grease it but will next time for easier cleanup)
7. Bake for 40 minutes - top will be lightly browned and a toothpick should come out clean
8. Let cool and then serve topped with chopped walnuts and with your favorite cup of tea

1 comment:

  1. I do miss banana bread! I had perfected my recipe right before going paleo!

    ReplyDelete