Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Breakfast Mash Bowl

I was forced to give my breakfasts a serious makeover. As some of you know, I have battled a variety of stomach issues my whole life. I finally decided to get to the bottom of everything in 2012 when I started the paleo diet last July. While certain aspects of my digestion got much better, I knew things still weren't right so I went to a new integrative physician to get checked out. I got a ton of testing done, and it turns out that I have leaky gut syndrome. Note that this isn't as gross as it sounds - read about it here. The good news is that the paleo diet is helpful in healing leaky gut, but the bad news is that I also found out I have a load of paleo-friendly food intolerances I never knew about. The top tier sensitivities are asparagus, avocado (almost cried over this), cantaloupe, cashews, cauliflower, cucumbers, egg whites, egg yolks, eggplant, lemon, pineapple, sesame, squash, walnuts, and watermelon. The second tier (which I also will need to avoid) includes almonds, cabbage, chicken, and sunflower. I am meeting with an RD, but sadly I will need to cut out all of these foods for at least 4-8 weeks while I take probiotics and digestive enzymes to try to heal my gut. These foods may be fine over time, but for now they have to go. As you can imagine, it was an overwhelming conversation because I already limit my foods so dramatically with paleo. To now cut out eggs, chicken, nuts, and so many fruits and vegetables will be an added challenge. The food sensitivity testing is complicated because there can be false positives, but I will still need to eliminate these foods temporarily to be safe.

The first major change had to be breakfast. No baked goodies with almond flour, and no omelets/casseroles/quiches. The good news is that this recipe creation turned out absolutely amazing. The flavors were perfect for breakfast, and I loved the color combination. 

I have a few posts on deck that will be posted in the next week with some newly forbidden ingredients (almond flour, chicken, etc.), but after those are shared I will be sharing my new adventures in the kitchen according to these new guidelines. I am determined to prove that I can still make beautiful and delicious food even with the new restrictions. Best of luck to me and all of my other nut, egg, and chicken-free paleo friends out there!

Breakfast Mash Bowl: Serves 4-6, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 20 min

Ingredients:
- 4 small sweet potatoes 
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 lb. mini portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed & chopped
- sea salt & pepper (optional)

Instructions:
1. Bake or steam your sweet potatoes. To bake, poke holes in the potatoes, wrap in foil, and bake at 375 degrees for one hour. To steam, cut into chunks and steam for 10 minutes.
2. Cook ground beef over medium heat until cooked through 
3. Drain excess fat from the beef, and then set the beef aside
4. Use the same pan to cook the onions and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes)
5. Add the portobello mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes
6. Add back the meat and the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until kale cooks down
7. Mash the sweet potatoes (one in each bowl), and then drop a scoop of the veggie/meat mixture in the middle
8. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired
9. Enjoy your new and improved breakfast!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment