Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Easy Shrimp & Veggie Soup

If you were wondering what an unhappy spatula looks like, you have come to the right place! I was in my room working yesterday, and when I opened my door to get a glass of water, I smelled a horrible whiff of burning plastic. The dishwasher had just finished running, and apparently my favorite spatula had fallen through the racks and was burning. This is actually pretty ironic because this was the only spatula that I could flawlessly flip omelets with. This took years to master, and I finally got it down in 2012. Now that my doctor banned me from eating eggs, it is probably fitting that my omelet spatula needs to be thrown in the trash. Hopefully the next sign from above doesn't include burning any more of my kitchen tools - that seems a little unnecessary if you ask me! 

Today's recipe is my new chicken-free take on a traditional chicken soup recipe. I recently picked up some wild-caught shrimp from Trader Joes, so I figured I could make a new soup recipe with it. It was actually great to have such a different twist on such a standard soup. This is incredibly easy to prepare, and you can substitute the veggies for anything you have in the house. I will absolutely be making this again and experimenting with other creative dishes with shrimp. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Easy Shrimp & Veggie Soup: Serves 4, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 35 min

Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 3 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 quarts (8 cups) organic vegetable stock/broth
- 1 lb. wild caught shrimp (I used frozen from Trader Joes that had tails removed and was de-vained)
- 6 oz. fresh spinach

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until soft
3. Add carrots, celery, and peppers and cook for another 10 minutes
4. Add thyme, pepper, and vegetable stock and bring to a boil
5. Turn heat to medium low and cook covered for another 10 minutes
6. Rinse shrimp in a colander and then slice into bite-sized pieces (I cut each shrimp into three pieces)
7. Add the shrimp and the spinach to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment