Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Roasted Tomato Soup w/ Fresh Basil

The Nemo aftermath is crazy in Boston. After my travels home from NYC, it took me almost an hour to catch a cab home. The snow banks were well over 6 feet tall, and there were no cabs in sight. I tried to walk home but failed miserably with 4 bags, so much snow, and no boots. I finally decided to go to a hotel and have them help me hail a cab. 20 minutes later I was riding in a cab with my first-ever female driver. So many roads were closed, and it was quite the adventure getting home. I trekked through the snow this morning for my wheatgrass shot, and I couldn't believe how many cars are still completely buried. 

Weather like this clearly calls for soup, so I made one of my old favorites. I have to admit that this soup should be made in the summer when tomatoes and basil are fresh and available at the farmers market, but I couldn't resist. The market was closed this weekend (and I was away), so I went to Foodies and got what I could. This recipe is inspired by a blog I used to read all the time called Two Peas in their Pod. Their recipes are great, and this soup is fantastic. Roasting the tomatoes first brings out such an amazing flavor - you won't be disappointed. Try it out this winter, and then try it again in the summer with fresh picked tomatoes and basil from the garden!

Roasted Tomato Soup w/ Fresh Basil Serves 4-6, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 90 min

Ingredients:
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt & pepper
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil (about 20 leaves)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used 14.75 oz., organic & no salt added)
- 1 qt. vegetable broth (I used organic, low sodium from Trader Joes)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Slice the tomatoes length-wise, and arrange them on a foil-lined baking sheet
3. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over the tomatoes, and season with sea salt and pepper
4. Roast tomatoes for 45 minutes
5. In a large soup pot, heat the other 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat, and add the onion, shallot, and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes until tender
6. Add the can of tomatoes, fresh basil, and broth
7. Stir in the roasted tomatoes
8. Cook for 45 minutes uncovered over medium-low heat
9. Puree the soup with your immersion blender until smooth. 
10. Serve with sliced avocado or a grilled cheese if you are really feeling dangerous!

  
  

1 comment: