Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spaghetti Squash & Red Pepper Meatballs

Happy early Passover to all of my fellow Jewish and non-Jewish readers who may be celebrating! Lexi and I celebrated tonight by going to Zaftigs in Brookline. I have to admit it was the first time I ever ordered gefilte fish at a restaurant, but it was delicious! I even tried the homemade beet horseradish, but sadly I still found that violently disgusting (sorry Zaftigs). 

Last week when Lexi came over for dinner, we made spaghetti squash with meatballs. Channelling my Italian roots (aka spending a lot of time with the Martinos) comes pretty naturally to me, or so I thought. This dinner was delicious, but the initial taste of the meatballs was a bit bizarre to say the least. When I asked Lexi how they were, she said "they taste Jewish". A week later, we still don't know exactly what that meant, but I did decide against naming them mini Jew balls. If you're daring, try them out, and let me know what you think! FYI - the longer they sat in the fridge, the better they got. Apparently mini Jew balls taste better with age! Happy Passover everyone :)

Spaghetti Squash & Red Pepper Meatballs: Serves: 4, Prep time: 30 min, Cook time: 45 min

Ingredients:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 large button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and bake face down for 45 minutes
3. Meanwhile, add pepper, onion, and mushrooms into the food processor, and pulse until finely chopped
4. Mix ground turkey, pepper mixture, chopped garlic, and coconut flour until well combined
5. Place 16-20 meatballs on a foil-lined cookie sheet
6. Bake for 30 minutes until cooked through
7. When squash finishes, string it out of the skin with a fork
8. Serve squash with your favorite homemade tomato sauce (thanks Lexi!), and top with meatballs


  

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment