Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Broccoli Butternut Soup

Today is a great day for so many reasons. Most importantly, I started my day with a 5-mile run. I haven't written anything in my blog about my running challenge because I wanted a solid month under my belt to erase any fear of quitting. Many of you know that running is my absolute least favorite activity. It makes me feel like a 300-lb. elephant flopping around, and my poor little flat, bunion-filled feet get miserable. I love essentially all other exercise, but I have never been a runner. In a moment of madness last month, I decided that I should create a 20-week running challenge for myself building up to 10 miles. The thought of running 10 miles seems so insanely impossible, but I am constantly reminding myself that it is purely mental. I try to exercise every day and have a great fitness level, so there is no reason I can't overcome my arch nemesis (the treadmill). I am proud to say that tomorrow completes my fourth week without a single slip from my training schedule and a total of 57 miles logged. I am now officially accountable to reach my goal, so I will keep you updated on my progress! 

Today's recipe is another soup! I know I am a little obsessed with creating new soups, but they have been so great for breakfast since I strayed from my old go-to of oatmeal. I decided to make broccoli butternut soup because I liked the way the name rolled off my tongue. I had to include a picture from my recent trip to Florida because the scenery matches this soup perfectly! I don't know about you, but I think this is the sign of a great day. Time to cook up a feast for tonight's farewell paleo potluck... have a fantastic weekend!

Broccoli Butternut Soup: Serves 8+, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 65 min

Ingredients:
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 large head of garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 bag baby carrots, chopped
- 1 bag celery hearts, chopped
- 4 large broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1.5 lbs. butternut squash, cubed
- 5-6 cups organic vegetable broth/stock
- Sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until soft
3. Add carrots and celery and cook for another 10 minutes

4. Add broccoli, squash, and broth to the pot
5. Bring to a boil and then cover the pot and cook on low for 45 minutes
6. Remove the pot from the heat and puree using your immersion blender or food processor.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment