Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Turkey & Veggie Mash Bowls

There are 22 days until the big move, and I have about 5,000 things to do in the meantime! Most important of all will be celebrating the birthdays of my mom and Mal down in Florida. I can't think of a better weekend plan than being down in Naples with my two favorite ladies (and Rosey) for some quality workouts, pool time, farmers markets, dinners out, and nonstop chatting/hugging. It doesn't get much better than that in my book.

I have to share something very gross with you. I was on Amtrak this afternoon heading back to Boston after a meeting in Providence, and the guy in front of me was scratching his head. He must have had a cut or bump or something, because he picked at it, and then ATE it! I should've apologized in advance for this story, but it just boggled my mind. He was a successful-looking businessman in his 40s, and he straight up ate his head scab. In hindsight, this probably isn't the best story for a food blog, but I really had no choice but to share it :)

Switching gears (hopefully you can build your hunger back), tonight's recipe is a turkey and veggie mash bowl. I had made something similar with sweet potatoes on the bottom, so I figured I would switch it up and try the carrots. I have to admit that I prefer the sweet potato version, but this was still great. I actually ate this for breakfast for a full work week which was perfect because I made it all in advance. If you aren't into a savory breakfast, try it out for lunch or dinner!

Turkey & Veggie Mash Bowls: Serves 5, Prep time: 10 min, Cook time: 25-30 min

Ingredients:
- 6 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped 
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil

- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped

- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 1lb. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey
- Fine sea salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Boil a pot of water. When boiling, add carrots and boil for 20 minutes or until soft
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat 
3. Add onions and garlic and cook 5-10 minutes until soft. 
4. Add ground turkey and cook about 10+ minutes until cooked through (no more pink)
5. Add peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms, and cook another 5-10 minutes until everything is cooked
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste
7. Drain the carrots, return them to the pot and mash with a potato masher
8. Split the carrot mash among 5 containers/bowls, and then evenly distribute the turkey/veggie mixture on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment