Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Ginger Chicken

I cooked my heart out this weekend, and then I cooked some more. It took a little time to get back in the swing of things, but I am officially back in action. I have a ton of recipes to share over the next week thanks to all of my hard work, and I am starting off with a delicious ginger chicken concoction that my little brother Brandon and I dreamt up. He came to visit on Sunday to check out my new place and hang out, and we cooked a feast. We went to Fairway to pick out ingredients, and the pharmacist/homeopathic-lover was chatting with us and thought Brandon was my son! Apparently I am not aging as gracefully as I may have thought. Brandon taught him an important lesson that you should always assume the woman is the older sister, because you can never go wrong. I couldn't agree more, so hopefully we taught this guy a thing or two. I was thrilled to have Brandon's company, and he was a fantastic sous chef. He taught me a lot about foreign policy, new technologies, and life as a high school student in 2013. Hopefully with his new cooking skills and recipe ideas he will be even more of a lady killer than he is already! By the way, we decided to name this chicken "ginger chicken" for a reason. Do not try it unless you love ginger! Don't say we didn't warn you...

Ginger Chicken: Serves: 4, Prep time: 20 min, Cook time: 75 min

Ingredients:
- 4 organic, free-range chicken thighs (about 1.5 lbs. total)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 6-8 large cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Bake cubed squash in a little water for 30 minutes until soft, and then drain the water
3. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and add them to the pan with the squash
4. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic, and drizzle with olive oil
5. Stir to mix, and then add the mint and some more salt and pepper
6. Bake for 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through

  
  

1 comment: